Saturday, November 19, 2011

SINGLE MOM'S THANKSGIVING

SINGLE MOM'S THANKSGIVING
   How many single moms are faced with trying to give their children the best holidays they can.  We want to minimize psychological trauma.  It is bad enough that the family is no longer together, but how much can we control? 
   I can't imagine what my sons thought while they were growing up.  One can say I was a little unconventional when it came to holidays.  I had a problem with authority.  Just because the calendar told me I had to celebrate a particular holiday didn't exactly mean I was going to obey.  We celebrated holidays when we decided to, not always when the calendar told us to. 
   My focus on the holidays, whether Christmas, the Fourth of July, or Mother's Day was to give my sons all the attention.  Sometimes that meant stealing their attention away from sadness.  I was everything and I did my best to have them forget that.  We would celebrate Christmas in January.  We would celebrate Thanksgiving in December.  We would celebrate December birthdays in the summer.
   Years later, I don't see any psychological scars from taking our holidays when we decided we wanted to.  Single Moms, don't stress yourself out.  Do your best, as you always do.  Just love the kids.  Stuff a wienie instead of a turkey! 
   Oh, and Christmas:  My sons never knew what to expect.  I would have empty boxes everywhere.  I would have canned vegetables in boxes, wrapped in wrapping paper.  We always laughed.  Today, my sons ask if I have canned vegetables at Christmas.
   Remember, it is not about convention, it is about people.  Just do your best and love the kids.

Just click the links.

1 comment:

  1. Really? Dont give us all of ur secrets... we never new!!! Really! Perception... hmmm, perfection, so close... hmmm.

    ReplyDelete