Wednesday, November 16, 2011

BLESSING OF FAMILY

BLESSING OF FAMILY
   I was watching the local news yesterday when the reporter was showing a massive traffic jam.  An 18 wheeler had jack-knifed on a rain soaked major freeway and spilled his load of fuel.  The freeway was closed for hours.  No body was injured. The reporter was interviewing the stranded motorists.  I was particularly attentive to one man who was interviewed who talked to his family through the camera to let them know he was stranded but that he would be home as soon as he could be.  He knew of no way around the problem.
   That is when it struck me about our biggest blessing:  family.  In my years of working as a nurse, the best medicine was when family was allowed to visit with the patients.  When we feel helpless, we tend to consider our families before we consider ourselves.  "How will my family handle this situation without me?"  "I have to be strong for my family."  "I have to overcome this situation because my family depends on me."
   Personally, at my lowest period of my life, it was my children that I focused on to keep me functioning.  But for them, my life would have surely turned out very differently.  What about you?
   When I count my blessings, it is not the material things that is foremost in my gratitude, but my relationships.  I have known people who focus so much energy on making money when the most precious gift is their family, who barely knows they exist. 

You can also follow me at http://omaswisdom.blogspot.com, http://omashealth.blogspot.com, and http://omaspolitics.blogspot.com.  Just click the links. 
To order a cheesecake by Christmas delivery, e-mail me at actvsldr.@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment