Tuesday, October 30, 2012

TEXAS STATE OPTICAL IN BAYTOWN, TEXAS

TEXAS STATE OPTICAL
   I got my eyes examined today.  But, let me begin at the beginning: I wanted to get my eyes examined, so I googled Texas State Optical in Baytown, Texas.  The listing appeared with Dr Hutto.  Good.  That is the one I have taken my children to for years.  I like Dr Hutto.
  I phoned Saturday to make an appointment for the eye exam.  The girl who answered the phone asked me for my insurance information.  Well, I was in the wash room doing laundry, instead of in front of my insurance card, so I told her I did not have it in front of me.  I just wanted to make the appointment.  She said I could call back when I had my insurance information.  So, I asked for clarification that I could not make an appointment for an eye exam unless I had insurance.  Well, no.  She said I could make the appointment for self-pay but they could not accept the insurance when I came in unless I called back early Monday with my insurance information.  I did not call to give insurance information.  I called to make an appointment to get my eyes examined.
   I finally made the appointment, got the laundry started, and called back to TSO with my insurance information.  Fine, I would see them on Monday.
   That should have been my first clue that the employees there take a lot for granted and are too inexperienced with dealing with the general public or too immature to ask questions.  It is all about herding them in and herding them out like cattle.  If you have to ask questions, you might have to put an effort into your job, right?
   So, I go in for the exam.  There is a bald skinny fellow running in and out of the rooms.  This is not the doctor who is posted on the internet, the one my children went to.
   I am called back into a room and put through the paces.  I was given a test before I was asked if I wanted to pay for it.  Did I mention I have insurance?  They performed a test on my eyes and then told me insurance did not cover it and asked after the fact if I wanted to pay for it.  Then I was told that they would dilate my eyes, which would reveal the same information that the machine would.
   No, I did not want to pay for an extra test to help them pay for their machine.  And no, I was not told when I made the appointment that I should have someone with me to drive me back where I came from since they would be rendering me blind with dilating my eyes.  It is a shame the girl did not say something when I made the appointment instead of worrying about the insurance.
   When I left the room, the girl made a comment that she was sure I would "complain" about her treatment of me on the phone.
   Really?  Complain?
   The rest of the exam was consistent with the initial activity.  Needless to say, I left without a pair of glasses and I will not recommend that anyone else go to TSO on Garth Road in Baytown, Texas.

   What are your thoughts?  Have you ever gone there or to another place to have your eyes examined and what was your experience?  Just leave a comment.

You are also invited to visit Oma at http://omaswisdom.blogspot.com and http://omaspolitics.blogspot.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment