Wednesday, October 24, 2012

KROGER: WALMART WANNABE

KROGER:  WALMART WANNABE
   We have been going through a remodeling at the local Kroger.  In fact, we have been doing the same thing at WalMart.  They are getting ready for all the holidays coming, I get that.
   My problem is not so much that there is a lot of remodeling going on.  My problem is in the meat department.  I stopped at Kroger on the way home tonight for some ground chuck to make meat loaf for my S.O.  We had discussed the menu for tonight earlier in the day.  Meat loaf is his favorite entree.  So, I had to buy ground meat.  I also didn't want to be there all day.  My goal was to get home before dark.
   I walked straight to the meat department.  They had  packages of ground chuck for an outrageous price.  I forget, now, how much they were; something like $5.00/lb.  The other choice was the chub like WalMart sells.  Well, the problem is that the packages were the same as WalMart, also.  They were pre-packaged with no dates on them, just a "sell by this day of the week".  I did not want to shop at WalMart, or I would have driven to WalMart.  I wanted to shop at a grocery store.
   So, there I was, fuming!  What to do?  Do I buy WalMart meat from Kroger, or go to WalMart and buy it there?  No, I will tell a manager that I am very unhappy.  The customer service desk is "closed due to re-modeling".  Well, isn't that just peachy?!?  No one should have an issue while Kroger is re-modeling, right?
   So, I walked back to the meat department and there was a guy who worked in that department.  Poor child, I knew it was not his fault and there was nothing he could do about it.  He just worked there....hourly employee, right?  This young man, Keith, stood there listening to my complaint in a very polite way.  His Mother must be very proud of him.  He did not just apologize or tell me it wasn't his fault.  No, this young man took on the task of actually listening to my concerns and identified why I was upset.  He suggested that I buy the "ground beef", which is ground there at the store.  He took the time to explain what is was.
   Not only did I buy three packages of it, I left with a smile on my face. And I got home before dark.  I don't know about you, but I saw a leader in this young man.  He turned the lemons into lemonade by listening and addressing my concerns.  Way to go, Keith.  Thank you.

What are your thoughts?  Don't you think Keith should get a promotion?

You are also invited to follow Oma at http://omaspolitics.blogspot.com and http://omaswisdom.blogspot.com

1 comment:

  1. I think you should contact Kroger management and find out if Keith is still there and recommend him for employee of the month, . . . ever month for next 2 years!!!!

    ReplyDelete