Monday, May 21, 2012

UNSEEN (PSYCHOLOGICAL) PROBLEM

UNSEEN PROBLEM
   I have been loosing interest in driving for a while.  The first time I remember a problem was in Denver a couple of years ago.  I was in a foreign place with unfamiliar roads.  There was one highway there that I was afraid to negotiate.  I was constantly hearing about major accidents on that road.  I hated it.
   Then, one day on the way to the office, I lost control of the steering on my truck.  The belt broke.  I had to try to move my truck out of traffic to a secure location and call for help.  Fortunately, my Middle Son was in the truck with me and he basically grabbed onto the steering wheel and moved the truck out of traffic.  My anxiety was very elevated.
   After Denver, I was expected to drive on a highway in Tennessee that always had wrecks on it.  I saw the wrecks there frequently.  Many of the wrecks were caused by people trying to avoid hitting deer.  How many sedans and 18 wheeler trucks have I seen in the median?    It affected me.
   I have noticed that I drive on the right side of the road.  I never drive over the speed limit, but often I drive under the limit.  My gauges on the dashboard show no problem, but the check engine light is often on.  Something is wrong and I have adjusted my driving accordingly.  I am miserable behind the wheel, I had lost confidence in myself to drive.  I just decided that I am too old.  I am looking to work from home or to just retire.
   Then, I am informed that I need a lot of front end work done on the truck.  This is an unseen problem.  My gauges don't show this, so I keep driving for a month or so. 
   Then, one day when I am on my way home, about an hour away, it gets worse than ever.  I have two hands on the steering wheel, driving under the speed limit, having great difficulty keeping the truck in my lane.  I have severe doubts that I will be able to negotiate the truck home without crashing.  My anxiety was elevated, and so was my blood pressure.  Driving was affecting my health!
   I arrived at home and parked the truck.  I will not drive again.  I'm through.  I am no mechanic and I just can't deal with this.  I phoned my friend who told me the front end needed work and asked if he could fix it.  He is so generous with his talents.  He agrees to fix the problem and even replaced my front brake pads.  Then, I had to get the front end aligned.  O.k.
   Let me tell you...I was driving to see my Mother recently and noticed that I had the radio turned up, enjoying my drive.  I was passing those drivers who were driving under the speed limit.  I was no longer driving in the slow lane, listening for new noises that would indicate that I needed to pull over.  I really was enjoying the drive!
   It struck me that sometimes life is like that.  Problems creep up on us and we adjust our lives.  Relationships suffer.  We are miserable, out of control of our emotions.  Life gets difficult to deal with.  The cause of our misery is unseen.  The good news is that you may need your "front end" fixed.  I recommend that you start with God.  He is the answer to all questions.  Ask Him to show you what is causing the problem.  Then, seek professional help.  Christian therapists/counselors can help identify the root cause and help fix it.  Life will be good again.
   If you are using chemicals to deal with daily life, emotions, relationships, it is time to get your "front end" looked at.  Alcohol and street drugs are not used for routine maintenance, but they are an "adjustment" to deal with the problem.  Seek help.   It is good to smile and sing and go places when you want to.
   What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment