Saturday, September 6, 2014

RED VELVET CAKE RECIPE

RED VELVET CAKE RECIPE

   My daughter wanted a red velvet cake for her birthday.  I don't like red velvet cake, because I find them dry and tasteless.   So, I told my son that IF I could find a moist recipe, that I would bake her one.  The hunt was on.  I found a website named www.divascancook.com, which had the recipe for "The BEST Red Velvet Cake Recipe.  Easy.  Moist.  Homemade."  What sold me on trying it was that she said she added a bit of  "down home Southern" twist to it. So, I am sharing her recipe and really encouraging you to visit her site.  She also has videos on how to prepare it.  Did I mention that it is so good that I left a comment on her site?  It is by far the best red velvet cake I have ever had in my mouth.

Ingredients:
  
2 C all-purpose flour
1 t baking soda
1 t baking powder
1 t salt
2 T unsweetened, cocoa powder
2 C sugar
1 C vegetable oil or canola
2 eggs
1 C buttermilk
2 t vanilla extract
1 - 2 oz. red food coloring, depending on how deep you want the color
1 t white distilled vinegar
1/2 C plain hot coffee (brewed)



Instructions
 
   Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.  
 
   In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa, and salt.  Set aside
 
   In a large bowl, beat the sugar and vegetable oil on low speed.  Add eggs, buttermilk, vanilla, and food coloring and beat until combined.  Stir in the hot coffee and white vinegar.  
   Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients a little at a time, on low speed, just until combined.
   Generously grease and flour two round, 9 inch cake pans with shortening and flour.  Pour the batter evenly into each pan.  Bake on the middle rack for 30 - 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  DO NOT over bake, as cake will continue to cook as it cools.

   Let pans cool on cooling rack until the pans are warm to the touch.  Slide a knife or offset spatula around the inside of the pans to loosen the cake from the pan.  Remove the cakes from the pan and let them cool.
   Frost the cake with her cream cheese frosting that I will also share when cakes have cooled completely.  It is the BEST EVER!
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING

2 (8 OZ) packs cream cheese, softened
1/4 C milk, may need more
1/2 C butter (one stick), softened
2 t vanilla extract
4 C powdered sugar

Instructions
 
   Beat cream cheese and butter in large bowl until softened.  Add milk and vanilla.  Beat until smooth.  Beat in half (2C) of the powdered sugar until smooth, then repeat with the other half until smooth and fluffy.
   Frost your cake as desired.
 

####################################################
This recipe came from Divas Can Cook which is
Old School Cooking For The Modern Woman.
Make sure you go check out the website for more great recipes.


###################################################
Read More http://divascancook.com/the-best-red-velvet-cake-recipe-easy-homemade-moist-with-southern-flair/ 
 
 
You are welcome to leave a comment with your thoughts here and encouraged to visit her website.  I just can't tell you how favorably impressed I was.

No comments:

Post a Comment